As the UN celebrates its 75th anniversary in 2020 under the theme “The Future We Want, the UN We Need: Reaffirming Our Collective Commitment to Multilateralism”, it’s time to give people a direct voice in its affairs.
The instrument of a UN World Citizens’Initiative (UNWCI) will enable citizens to put forward proposals on key issues of concern for discussion at the UN General Assembly. A UNWCI will allow global citizens to have more impact and empowerment in a world faced with growing dilemmas that require global cooperation of both states and citizens alike.
In New York, we will present our campaign plan and research paper to civil society actors and interested people.
Please RSVP by responding here: www.worldcitizensinitiative.org/rsvp-ny
- INCLUDEDIntroduction to the campaing and partner organisationsPresentation of academic paper: how would a UN World Citizen's Initiative work?Q&A with the audienceRefreshments and networking
- TARGET AUDIENCECivil society organisations interested in joining the allianceInterested citizensMembers of the press
- Andreas BummelExecutive Director, Democracy Without Borders
- Mandeep TiwanaChief Programmes Officer, CIVICUS
- Jeffery HuffinesSenior Advisor, UN2020 Reform for CIVICUS
- Dr Ben MurphyLecturer in Law, University of Liverpool
- Dr James OrganLecturer in Law, University of Liverpool